Saturday 14 March 2009

JHJ taks about "Seo Dong Yo" (Part 2)

This is an English translation of Jo Hyun Jae's exclusive interview with KBOOM (October 2008 issue) prior to his military enlistment. Jo Hyun Jae talks about his starring role in the television drama Seo Dong Yo. (by misa123 first published in EVERjohyunjae on 2008.9.22)
(Cont. from Part 1)

Q. You did a great job of playing the role of a charismatic warrior king who is also faithful in love.But if you personally had to choose between work and love, which would it be?
A. That’s like asking me who I love more, my mother or my father.... How about you? Do you love your mother? Or your father? (Laughs) I don’t think I could give up either one. I think work and love are both important.

Q. One of Seo Dong’s lines is “One can escape one’s destiny, but I choose mine.” What are your own feelings about destiny?
A. I think your destiny is something you can come close to realizing if you work at it. Perhaps it is mine to be an actor who is loved by the fans. I think it is their enthusiastic support that makes it possible for me to be an actor... There are lots of factors that make up a person’s destiny.

Q. On July 19 you had a fan meeting at Yonsei University. Following up on your fan meetings in Japan, you sang a couple of songs-quite well. Do you have any plans to become a singer?
A. I think I could if I wanted to (laughs). I think if the fans want it, and it makes them happy, it’s fine for me to do a bit of singing. But since acting is what’s important to me, I doubt I could become a real singer. But if I get the chance I’d like to record some new songs to share with my fans.

Q. Your fans seem quiet but very loyal. What do you think is the secret of your enduring popularity, both in Korea and in Japan?
A. Well, it might be because I am an actor, and appear a lot on TV....(laughs). It might be because people like the fact that I seem friendly and easy-going.

Q. What was the thing you most regretted, or felt worst about during the filming of Seo Dong Yo?
A. As in Dae Jang Geum, this was a drama that really centers around the lead role, so I was almost never able to go home. It was a terribly demanding role physically, so I tried to keep up my energy by eating whatever people said was good for my body. Looking back on it now, I feel a bit of regret because I think if I had been in a bit better shape I might have delivered an even better performance. Of course, I got a lot of credit from the other actors for keeping up with such a demanding schedule, and they gave me a lot of encouragement. I think all of that helped give me strength. I believe you have to hone the ability to perform under any circumstances. It was a difficult but very significant role for me.

Q. You’ve cut your hair. Is this a preparation for your military enlistment? I was surprised whenI saw you at the fan meeting. It suits you (laughs).
A. I had it cut thinking my schedule of public appearances was over, but I guess it wasn’t (laughs). When I don’t have anything on I like to get it cut short like this. It’s more comfortable and I personally prefer it this way.

Q. Do you have any plans for your life in the military?
A. If there’s time I’d like to study, but from what other people have said to me there is not much point in making plans, since it is unlikely they will work out (laughs). Because of my work I wasn’t able to lead a very well-regulated life, so I’ve made it my goal to come back from the army with a body that’s really in shape. A well-regulated life makes you healthy. I’d hope to come back with a sound mind in a healthy body.

Q. In closing, I’d like to ask if you have any message for Japanese fans concerning what to watch for in Seo Dong Yo.
A. In the beginning Seo Dong has a mean and stubborn streak, and I think it is interesting to pay attention to the way in which he sheds these aspects of his character in the process of becoming king. And the scenes in which he meets and parts from Princess Sun-hwa are definitely worth watching. Also look for the scenes depicting Mok Rasoo and Sataek Giroo’s irritation, the conflict between Sataek Giroo and Seo Dong, and the friendship between Seo Dong and his teacher, Mok Rasoo. It’s a drama with many highlights, and many valuable lessons. I hope you enjoy it!

(THE END)

2 comments:

  1. HyunJae's performance in Seo Dong Yo is classic. For someone so young to carry the weight of this long drama is remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is his girl friend? Hope Jo Hyun Jae can find his lover as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete