Wednesday 18 March 2009

JHJ the man and the actor (Part 3)

This is an English translation of Jo Hyun Jae's exclusive interview with KBOOM (October 2008 issue) prior to his military enlistment. Jo Hyun Jae speaks frankly with KBOOM about his acting and his life on the eve of his enlistment in the armed forces. (Translated by misa123 first published on EVERjohyunjae on 2008.9.20)

(Cont. from Part 2)

Q. Changing the subject, there was a lot of talk about Jo Hyun Jae changing his image in the movie The Guard Post.
A. I wanted to make a more masculine movie. The Guard Post is a story about the army and I liked the scenario, so I decided to do the movie. It had all the elements that I was hoping to do. I also saw it as a really good chance to change the image I'd had so far. I came across a good project just as I was hoping to try a new genre. And the director’s previous film was excellent.

Q. The previous film was R-Point, wasn't it?
A. Yes. I was impressed by R-Point, and I also liked Tell Me Something, which [Kong Su Chang] wrote as well. Actually, I like the genre of films that give you a strong impression. I like movies like Scarface and The Godfather.

Q. That's not what I would have expected. You like hard-edged movies?
A. Yes. When you watch that kind of movie, it makes you feel uneasy. My head is always filled with thoughts saying, "I want to do that too. I can do it!" But I don't choose the movies I want to see just by the genre. I see different kinds of movies, and every time I watch a movie I'm always thinking, "If I played that role . . . ."

Q. Those two movies you mentioned both star Al Pacino.
A. He's one of my favorite actors. He has an aura about him, and whatever the role, he performs it so well. He has a thin, small body, but he has a charisma that nobody can imitate. He's just right for film noir. I also love the sadness that you always see in his eyes. He's an actor who gets even cooler with each passing year, so I respect him.

Q. Was it tough for you as an actor to have such a strong image of being in soap operas?
A. Not particularly. On the contrary, I made a strong impression, so as an actor that is an advantage. The question is how you get beyond that. When you get a certain image as an actor, it is a plus, but at the same time you have the issue of needing to move beyond that. If one image is strong, I think it’s good to next create a different image, and then another different image.

Q. Are you satisfied with the finished product?
A. It is much better than I had expected. However, my own performance is still not that great. I think there's something lacking, so it makes me a bit frustrated. During the break before I start filming, I was worrying about what I should do to make people feel my work more deeply and seriously.

Q. What were you doing during the break?
A. I was trying to relax, and I rode my bike a lot. When a person does simple things, it's amazing how it can clear your mind of your worries. It was really fun to feel the cool breeze and think and just lead a relaxing life.

Q. How was the filming? I think it was your first experience with that genre.
A. Since there was no female partner, in some ways it was easier. There's something to that. It's the kind of fun you can have if you're at an all-boys school instead of a coed school. While I was filming Guard Post, I didn't wash my hair and since I didn't have to worry about outward appearances, I would get up and go directly to the film set and I would gulp down my food too (laughs).

Q. Was there anything difficult about the film shot?
A. There were times when the filming would be stopped. It was really tough at that point to sustain my motivation. When I think about it now, it was really a tough movie to make. The set was dark and dusty, and my throat really hurt. After spending about 10 months in that kind of place, I was physically exhausted.

Q. I heard that in order to concentrate on your role, you stayed to yourself even on set.
A. Yes. In terms of the movie structure, 1st Lieutenant Yoo is a character that can't be with other characters. At the beginning, I was playing soccer and card games together with the other actors. But little by little I realized that laughing and having fun was not the way 1st Lt. Yoo should look. After that, I decided to stay quietly by myself even when everyone else was having fun together.


(TO BE CONTINUED)

1 comment:

  1. I like "GP506". Jo Hyun Jae proves he is more than a pretty face; he can play tough.

    ReplyDelete