Friday 20 March 2009

JHJ the man and the actor (Part 5)

This is an English translation of Jo Hyun Jae's exclusive interview with KBOOM (October 2008 issue) prior to his military enlistment. Jo Hyun Jae speaks frankly with KBOOM about his acting and his life on the eve of his enlistment in the armed forces. (Translated by misa123 first published in EVERjohyunjae on 2008.9.20)

(Cont. from Part 4)

Q. When would you like to get married? And what kind of woman do you like?
A. I'd like to get married around my mid-30s, so I have to start looking for someone (laughs). I'm an actor, so I'd like to meet a woman who understands my work and is supportive. When I'm working, I totally immerse myself in it, so I don't think I'd be able to pay attention to her at those times. It wouldn't be intentional, but I might make her feel lonely. It would be nice to find someone who would understand that. Maybe I'm setting my sights high (laughs)? In terms of appearance, I like a woman who has a pretty smile, but otherwise I don’t have any set type. If I fall in love, then that person is my type.

Q. You are nearing your 30s. What are your thoughts about getting older?
A. There were still a lot of things that I wanted to try, so it is a bit of a shame.

Q. For example, what kinds of things?
A. For example, as we were talking about earlier, I would like to travel more . . . . . Because of the nature of my work, I haven't been able to experience things that you would normally experience in your 20s.

Q. Like co-ed parties and experiencing campus life with a girlfriend?
A. Yes (laughs). Those things too. Or going to the library and studying very hard.

Q. The average person in their 20s doesn't go to the library and study!
A. Is that right? When I look back, I think I've tried my best in my life, but there are some things that I regret. But I don't mind getting older. That's because the more years you live, the more experienced you become, your thoughts become deeper, and you grow.

Q. Do your personal experiences help you in your performances?
A. Of course. Although I may not have the typical experiences, instead I think that I've had many experiences that others can't have. The busy life I have now will be better after I'm 30, I think. And I think my acting will have more depth. Of course, that depends on me. That's the way acting is. I don't think you can produce satisfying work simply by trying your best. By maturing as a person you start to be able to give a good performance. I hope that I'll get even cooler as I getolder, just like Al Pacino.

Q. What is your objective as an actor?
A. I'd like to become an actor whose works will draw attention just because I'm in them. That's my goal. I want to be the kind of actor whose name alone will get people to want to pay money and see my work. And I hope that the audience and viewers will be able to see my performances and forget about their worries, even if just a little. Of course, it would make me happiest of all if people said that I'm a good actor.

Q. Could I ask you to say a final word to our readers?
A. I won't be able to see you for a while. I'm going to be having another new experience. I think that Jo Hyun Jae will probably return as a more mature person. Until then, I wish you all well. I will send you greetings occasionally, so I hope you won’t miss me too much. I'm looking forward to the day when I can meet you again and show you how I've matured as a person and as an actor. It's very humid, so please take care of your health! Be happy.

(THE END)

(Photo courtesy of Official JHJ Fan Club website)

1 comment:

  1. I wish he would enjoy himself as a soldier and as a regular guy for a while. And from the last message left by him, he seems more relaxed and having fun in the army. With his good looks, charm and his love for his work, he will be busy when he comes back.

    ReplyDelete