Tuesday 3 March 2009

Diary of a Star-Chaser (Part 3 - At Tokyo Fan Meeting)



2008.6.23 (Monday) Tokyo's Sun Plaza

The second of Jo Hyun-Jae's Fan Meeting was in Tokyo's Sun Plaza which could hold 2100 people. Before the scheduled time of 3 p.m., many fans were already gathered in the lobby, but they were asked to wait outside and not allowed in till 2 p.m. The Tokyo fans were more aggressive than the Osaka fans. As soon as they got in, they rushed upstairs to grab the JHJ souvenirs. I am not exaggerating -- they did not queue up (not at first) and just pushed and shoved to get to the souvenirs. And I'm ashamed to say I did the same. I had to (to save my skin), and even then I was trampled on (my poor feet got trod on several times.) I had to buy more photo albums for my friends in China and some make-up mirrors (with two JHJ photos) which I did not see yesterday, more cell phone straps, and a JHJ florescent stick (to wave when he was singing.) When I finally made my way out of the mad crowd, it was like emerging from a war zone. These elegant women suddenly all became crazy, clawing and thrusting. Could they be, like me, doing something they never had the chance to do when they were teenagers and were now letting themselves go? How come JHJ with his clean-cut features, gentlemanly manners, upright character, and healthy lifestyle could have this effect on these ladies (me among them)?

After amassing my "loot", I didn't know what to do with them. Yesterday in Osaka they gave us a plastic bag to hold the photo albums, but today in Tokyo they did not provide this service. (Maybe they didn't think anyone would buy so many.) I was hanging on to my hard-won spoils and they were feeling heavier and heavier. I must have looked very distressed because suddenly some lady with blue hair (yes, blue-tinted hair) gave me a big and sturdy shopping bag that could hold everything. And this was the lady who tried to sell me some unofficial JHJ souvenirs when I was waiting to get into the hall. I declined, and here she was, lending me a helping hand. JHJ fans really look out for one another. A certain kind of artist inspires a certain kind of fans. When my best friend heard I was meeting another JHJ fan that I got to know on the internet, she thought I was nuts. But I assured her I believed firmly JHJ fans are all good people.

With my precious purchases safely in the bag, I entered the hall and sat down to recover my breath. The stage set-up was similar to Osaka's, except the JHJ banners were a little smaller (due to the size of the stage.) The opening was also different. There was no projection on the screen of JHJ backstage. He just walked onto the stage after the drum-roll, introduced himself, and sang the same opening song which sounded even better the second time I heard it. He was wearing a white suit this time, with a multi-coloured checked shirt (open low, but there was another T-shirt under that), and silver sports shoes, and his hairstyle was a little tousled -- which produced a different effect from Osaka's but equally breathtakingly handsome.

Then the Master of Ceremony (MC) (a different one) and the same interpreter came on stage. The format of the first part was the same as in Osaka, except JHJ looked less animated. He must have been so tired after yesterday's show. But this MC was very sharp and kept prodding him, so that after a while JHJ was back to his bright, breezy self, especially in the second part.

After the short intermission, JHJ came out in a collarless T-shirt with grey-trimmed collar and short sleeves, white vest, casual black trousers, and white sports shoes. And he looked much fresher and more relaxed. Like yesterday in Osaka, he did the rounds of the hall, beginning with the 1/F balcony and then coming down to the main auditorium. This is the part when fans could have a close encounter with their idol.

The second part was Q & A (questions and answers) and games rolled into one, more compact and faster-moving than yesterday in Osaka. JHJ was very fair: he took care to choose fans from the 1/F balcony and every part of the main auditorium downstairs. One old lady at the back managed to catch JHJ's attention by waving a colourful shawl. I didn't understand what she asked JHJ but everybody laughed. And then she started to sing him a song which made him smile. Another lady asked a question which elicited an answer from JHJ that made everybody scream. I asked the Korean girl sitting next to me to translate. Japanese fan: "What is the most precious thing to you?" JHJ's answer: "You -- every one of you! All my fans!" When did he learn to say things like that? I thought he was never very good with words.

When it was our section's turn, I waved my hand like a mad woman (since I had no scarf or shawl), but it didn't work. JHJ picked the lady sitting right in front of me. Good thing I wasn't chosen. I just put up my hand without knowing what question I was going to ask. JHJ was focused in our direction for the next few minutes, so I could take a good hard look at him. I kept remembering what the Japanese lady sitting next to me yesterday was saying over and over again: "He is so beautiful!"

In between the Q & A and the games, the MC was saying there were some overseas fans in the audience. Don't ask me how I knew. I heard the words "Hong Kong" and "Taiwan", and I saw some people putting up their hands and shouting "Taiwan" (must be Greencup on the other side of the auditorium.) So I put up my hand too and when the MC pointed to me, I stood up and shouted: "Beijing, China!" She asked me if I was in Osaka yesterday and I said "Yes." Again, don't ask me how I understood her; I just did.

Came the games part -- the MC said something and everybody stood up and looked under their seats. If there was something there, you got to go on stage to receive a gift from JHJ. There were 9 lucky fans altogether. Each of them turned the Wheel of Fortune which determined what prize they got. There were "Seo Dong Yo" and "Only You" DVDs, T-shirts, caps, necklaces, bracelets, etc. Do you know how caring and considerate our Hyun-Jae was? For the ladies who won the DVDs, he not only autographed them but personalized them as well, that is, he wrote their names at the top. For the two luckiest (in my opinion), he put on the necklace and the bracelet for them, also the girl who won the baseball cap. I could only sit and watch with envy.

The show was over in two hours, but the handshaking part took longer because this Tokyo hall could accommodate 2100 people. The set-up was the same as in Osaka -- first handshake, then photo with JHJ. While we were waiting and watching the other groups shaking hands and posing with JHJ, I got talking to the Korean girl sitting next to me. She could speak some English and she had a translation gadget with her, so we managed to communicate. She told me she had seen JHJ twice before in Korea, but never for so long and never this close. She asked me what I was going to say to JHJ when I shook his hand, (I didn't say anything in Osaka), I suddenly had a brainwave. I asked her to teach me how to say in Korean: "Mr. JHJ, please come to China soon." When it proved too difficult, I asked her to write it down for me in Korean. I told her I was going to show that sentence to JHJ when I shook his hand. Since she would be following me, I asked her to do me a favour and to say to JHJ: "You have a lot of fans in China."

When it came to our turn, we had to wait for 10 minutes so JHJ could take a break. The Korean girl started counting and suddenly she whispered in my ear: "You're #5 and I'm #6, which means we'll be sitting on either side of JHJ!" And she was right! My God, lightning struck twice! Two times lucky for me! I couldn't believe my good fortune! The Korean girl went on to say: "Why don't we put our arm in his, just like some of the other women?" I said: "Oh no! I can't! I dare not!" And she said: "We'll never get another chance like this. The photo will be our happy memories forever."

I struggled with myself, and when JHJ came to sit between the two of us, I didn't know what came over me, but I did put my arm into his (and so did the Korean girl.) Hyun-Jae did not pull away, but some security man came over at once and "scolded" us. So you will see a very red-faced me when the photo comes out. But at least I touched his arm (bare skin and all!), or rather my sleeve did.

The Tokyo Fan Meeting was supposed to be from 3 - 6 p.m. but did not end until 7:30 p.m., again overrun by 1 1/2 hours. I remember thinking: If I were JHJ's mother, my heart would ache at seeing him so over-worked. I am not his mother, but my heart still ached. JHJ bowed and smiled when he shook each fan's hand, and he bowed twice when he came to each photo group of 30, and again bowed twice after the photo was taken. He was so polite and well-bred, with perfect manners.

The last part was the second song and the final "Goodbye". No encores this time. JHJ must be so exhausted. Again part of the proceeds of the show went to charity. JHJ is not only a beautiful face; he also has a beautiful heart! And I am proud to be a JHJ fan!


EPILOGUE

After the Fan Meeting, we went with some Japanese friends to a Korean restaurant. When the meal was almost over, one of them received a call. Their "spy" informed them that JHJ was at another Korean restaurant a stone's throw away and that he would be leaving in about 10 minutes. We dropped everything and rushed out. We saw the Mercedes-Benz S500 and the chauffeur waiting for JHJ. We stood discreetly at a distance. We were not going to take photos; we didn't want to disturb him. We just wanted to wave goodbye. After a short time, the chauffeur drove the car 10 feet up the road, and several security men came out onto the pavement. One of them kept us at a distance, so that when JHJ finally came out of the restaurant, he was ushered into the back of the car, shielded by security men. We could not even catch a glimpse of him! But his manager/boss came out later and talked to our Japanese friends who were with the JHJ website in Japan. The Japanese lady told us this man was like a father to JHJ, so he was in good hands, which made me feel better. So this was the end of my dream trip to meet Jo Hyun-Jae in Japan, memories of which will have to last through the next two years when he is in the army.

THE END

(Originally published in JoHyunJaeChina)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds so much fun! Wish I were there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. our JHJ looked a bit sad in his photos here. must be because he is in a way saying goodbye for now to his devoted fans....

    ReplyDelete