Monday 16 March 2009

JHJ the man and the actor (Part 1)




This is an English translation of Jo Hyun Jae's exclusive interview with KBOOM (October 2008 Issue) prior to his military enlistment. Jo Hyun Jae speaks frankly with KBOOM about his acting and his life on the eve of his enlistment in the armed forces. (Translated by misa123 first published in EVERjohyunjae on 2008.9.20)

In August of this year, at the height of his popularity, Jo Hyun Jae entered the army. Prior to his enlistment, he spoke passionately about his life and his acting; everything from Seo Dong Yo (Ballad of Suh Dong) to The Guard Post (GP506) and Three Daddies with One Mommy!

We met with actor Jo Hyun Jae just before he entered the army. To be told that you're even better looking in person than on the screen is not the kind of praise an actor wants to hear. But in fact, there's an inner beauty radiating from Jo Hyun Jae that just can't be captured on a TV or movie screen. During the interview, Jo Hyun Jae kept repeating, “I’m just like everybody else,” but there are few actors whose melancholy eyes can pierce the heart like his. Some people say that he tends to be taciturn so he's hard to interview. But it is precisely for that reason that the feelings he does occasionally reveal resonate in our hearts.

Q. It's very nice to see you again. I don't think we've met since your last KBOOM interview.
A. That's right. I think it was in the fall, wasn't it? There was a cool wind blowing that day, so it was very pleasant. Today’s a bit hot.

Q. What season do you like best?
A. My favorite is spring. It’s a good time to go for walks and I can concentrate on my reading as well. I like it because when I wake up in the morning it's just the right temperature, so I can start the day feeling good. It's good for exercising too. When you move a lot, you sweat just the right amount. But I don't hate summer. There are a lot of things that you can only do in the summertime. Every season has its good points.

Q. What sort of things can you only enjoy in the summer?
A. Swimming in the ocean and the cool ocean breeze. And a cold beer. I went to Japan recently for a fan meeting, and drinking beer there on a summer's night was fantastic. In any case, Japanese beer is delicious.

Q. It's hot today so this talk about beer is making me thirsty (laughs)! Do you drink a lot?
A. Not a lot. I only drink a little when I'm feeling good. Usually I like to have a bit of red wine or champagne, but when it's hot, it makes me want to drink icy beer that's cold enough to numb my tongue. It makes me feel like the fatigue is flying away. I don't drink so much that I would get drunk. As soon as I think that I've had a little too much, I start to get sleepy.

Q. I heard that there were really a lot of people at the fan meeting in Japan.
A. We had the meetings in Osaka, Tokyo, and Nagoya, and there were a lot more people there than I had imagined. I think more people came out because I'm entering the army soon.

Q. What did you feel when you saw all of those fans?
A. I felt a great sense of responsibility. At first, honestly, I felt pressure too. I was thinking, "What should I do? I don't want to disappoint them . . . ." But if I'm thinking that I'm having a hard time, the fans will pick up on that. So I decided not to think that way. My fans are giving me a lot of love, so if I turn that into a minus, then I'm losing out (laughs).

(TO BE CONTINUED)

(Photos courtesy of CarpeDiem)

No comments:

Post a Comment