Wednesday 8 April 2009

Rain, Rain, go away!

No, it's not raining where I am. In fact, we're experiencing sunny blue skies and bracing fresh air -- perfect Spring weather. I'm referring to the Korean singer Rain who recently lost a lawsuit in the U.S.A. for breach of contract and now has to pay compensation of US$8 million (together with his former management company.) Even though I'm not a fan of his, I hope his problems will go away.

What prompts me to write now is something I read today about some fans of Rain trying to raise some cash to help him. They are being attacked as morons on the internet. A lot of people have a lot of opinions, mostly negative. As I was reading, I started wondering: "What if it were Jo Hyun-Jae who is in trouble? Would you help him?" And then I came upon this comment: "Jo Hyun-Jae would never get himself into this kind of jam!" and a bomb just went off in my head!

Such self-righteousness! Such a holier-than-thou attitude! You think Rain is a fool? He made a mistake, and he was probably ill-advised. Contract disputes are nothing new. Rain should have sought legal advice in the U.S. before he decided to put in a no-show. And now there are at least 3 or 4 lawsuits of similar nature against him pending. Still, it's only money; I mean it's something that money can solve.

Now to return to my earlier peeve. This is a free country. If you don't want to do something, nobody can make you do it. But you have no right to call other people names who want to do something that you disapprove of. I believe in freedom of speech, but there is such a thing as human decency and decorum. If some girl(s) want to contribute something to help Rain, what business is it of yours? Just because you don't do such "silly" things makes you morally superior?

Now if it were Jo Hyun-Jae who needs help, would you, as a fan, try to help? How do you show you care? Just by posting "I love you!" every day? Someone else says the best way to be a fan is to appreciate the star's works. Well, the star's career, his whole future, is in jeopardy, and you just stay glued to the tube? This little incident reveals so much about human nature. Somehow some people just revel in others' misfortunes. While not helping themselves, they denigrate those who do. In this way, they think they can show that they are wise and above-the-fray.

Most people think star-chasers are silly girls who have nothing better to do. Maybe. But is this any worse than men who chase after female stars? men of means who can afford to "monopolise" them as mistresses? Fans only worship from afar; they don't seek possession. JHJ fans, especially the Koreans and Japanese, are very caring and considerate people. You can tell from the presents they send him -- they take care of all his needs, very maternal and nurturing. When they visit him on set, they don't even ask for his autograph or to pose for photographs with him. They are so quiet and unassuming that JHJ once said he didn't even know they're his fans until someone told him. But of course a certain kind of actor attracts a certain kind of fans.

Now if JHJ, for whatever reasons, finds himself in hot waters, wouldn't you, as a fan, try to help? Would you help a friend in need? Help comes in many forms; giving money is the easiest way. So if some fans of Rain want to contribute something to helping him, even if it is only a drop in the ocean, don't call them morons just because you do not have the largeness of heart and generosity of spirit. Any gesture made out of affection should not be ridiculed. If you try to understand instead of condemn, human beings of different colours, creeds, cultures, etc. may be able to live in peace and the world will be a better place.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any fans like to help their idol financially should not be laughed at. Just as you said, if a fan does view the star as a member of the family, then he/she might do whatever with his/her means to help. It is indeed a personal choice. I cannot imagine if (God forbidden), one day when Hyun Jae finds himself in hot water and I can just sit on my hands and do not do anything. It is for all the goodness that is in me and the goodness that I see in him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel sorry for Rain too and I wish him well. I agree with Shirley: "for all the goodness that is in me and the goodness that I see in him." If Hyun Jae is in trouble, would I help him? Yes, I would.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We consider JHJ as a friend or a family member. Certainly, I don't want JHJ in hot water. If he does, I would help him.
    As a fan, it is good to appreciate his performances. We can watch his dramas, buy his DVD, CD and other souvenirs. An actor must have his place in the market.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As JHJ as my son, I will help in constant praying and patronizing his masterpiece like his drama,DVD (hopefully in English song like
    You Raise Me Up,original theme song in Korean
    Sarangge???)

    This concern is already in my mind as he is
    the breadwinner of the family and right now,he is in the militay service. The global recession affects everyone's pocket. In my humblest mean,I try to be supportive with two university students in my pockets at the present.

    Please tell us the websites where I can purchase his CD by PayPal so my privacy is
    protected,too.

    God bless us all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have often wondered how JHJ can support his family on a soldier's pay. But being a prudent person, I'm sure he must have saved enough for these two years. Still, we should support him by buying his DVD, CD, and other souvenirs so he can receive a little royalty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elena, as far as we know, the CD is only available from the JHJ Official Fan Club, but it is temporarily out of stock. We'll follow up and announce here when it is available again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much as always!

    God may listen to the desires of our hearts
    mostly for the silent wishes we had for JHJ.
    Amen.

    ReplyDelete