Tuesday 21 April 2009

"Only You" TV Special




http://johyunjae.s217.sureserver.com/thread-7193-1-1.html

This "Only You" TV Special on "Night Heart" YSMM (2005.5.30 / 43:39 minutes) has become a classic. Every Jo Hyun-Jae fan has seen it countless times. But it still manages to make you laugh every single time. And you fall in love with JHJ all over again every time you watch him on this show. This is the real JHJ, not acting in a drama. He is just being himself, and in so doing, reveals a side of him that is so genuine, so guileless, so effortlessly amusing, so unwittingly cute that you want to hug him. He says later that he regrets it, and you never see him speak so freely or so much in public again.

To help those who do not understand the Chinese subtitles, I have put the minutes at the start of each topic which I hope will help you follow the programme. I have only translated the parts that relate to JHJ.

00:45
JHJ introduced by MC as "gentle and tender and loved by all women".

03:55
Actress #2 in OY says she met JHJ at Italian airport and greeted him but he ignored her. MC to JHJ: "How could you?" JHJ raises his hand in protest. Turned out she mistook someone else for JHJ.

05:30
MC to actress #2: "Do you like JHJ's type of guy?" Actress #2: "Yes." MC to JHJ: "She says she likes you; you should say "Thank you." JHJ to actress #2: "Thank you!"

05:55
MC to JHJ: "Please list Han Chao Young's good and bad points." JHJ: "She's very comfortable to be with and she takes care of others." to which Han remarks: "He means he doesn't take me for a girl." MC: "What about her bad points?" JHJ: "Well.....most actresses are shy in public, e.g. when they put on the microphone, they would turn aside. But Han just lifts up her T-shirt and thrusts the mic up to her neck." While he is demonstrating this, Han keeps hitting him to try to shut him up.

07:15
Han explains that it happened during filming of the scene they meet on the train in Venice in OY. Technicians were not allowed on because space was limited, so she had to do it herself. She had never put on a microphone before, and as she was struggling with it, she accidentally revealed her navel (apparently shocking JHJ.)

07:40
To appease her, JHJ returns to Han's good points: "She's really good-natured, very direct and straightforward." MC: "What about actress #2?" JHJ: "Well.....she's also very comfortable to be with." MC: "Bad points?" JHJ: "........(at a loss for words)." MC: "How about actress #3?" JHJ scratches his head: "I don't really know....." then "I'm going out of my mind!"

12:00
The guy with glasses in the short-sleeved pink shirt is a famous MC; he claims he's the one who discovered JHJ (maybe he's joking here.) He says: "JHJ is a very quiet person; all of a sudden he's speaking so much here. He has great comic talent!"

12:40
The actors are answering questions from the audience. Q: "What would you do for someone you love?" Han has earlier said how she fasted for her boyfriend. Now it is JHJ's turn and he says: "I'm shy and not very romantic in love. Once I went to buy lingerie for my girlfriend. I was very nervous and sweating profusely. I wanted to get out of the shop as quickly as possible, so I just grabbed one." MC: "But they come in different sizes." JHJ: "I told the shopgirl my girlfriend is 167 cm. tall and weighs 49 kg." Wow! perfect figure! everyone exclaims.

15:20
After the other men have related their experiences in lingerie shops, MC turns to JHJ: "Is the size right?" JHJ: "The bottom fits." to great laughter!

15:45
MC to JHJ again: "What about the top? Is it too big or too small?" Before JHJ could answer, the other MCs clobber the guy.

Then JHJ wonders: "Why is the draught blowing at me?"

18:18
After actor #2 reveals how he once shed blood for his girlfriend, MC asks JHJ if he has ever done that, and he says "Yes, when I had a fight with my girlfriend" to everyone's surprise. MC: "Blood was shed between you and your girlfriend?" JHJ hastens to add: "It's not like that." Under the MC's probing, it turns out that JHJ and his girlfriend quarrelled, she left, he called her, she refused to come back, so in anger he hit something and hurt his hand. The MC then makes fun of him and pretends to re-enact scene of the angry JHJ hitting the wall.

19:45
JHJ: "Is my answer OK?" Everybody laughs. Man in pink shirt: "JHJ is a funny guy!"

20:15
MC: "You can give another answer." JHJ: "OK! My girlfriend wanted me to quit smoking, so I did." Somebody remarks: "He has such good skin. You can tell he doesn't smoke." MC to JHJ: "Do you smoke now?" JHJ: "Yes." MC: "You should apologise to your girlfriend." JHJ: "I want to quit, but it's not easy. Every time we quarrel, I start smoking again." Remarks say: "Such a truthful and honest fellow!" The MC then mimics JHJ again -- shouting, hitting wall, smoking .......to great laughter.

21:51
JHJ: "Why do you keep blowing on my head?" MC: "Don't you watch our show?" JHJ: "Not much." MC: "Only you. (Editor: meaning JHJ is the only one who doesn't watch this very popular show.) Say something about OY on this show." JHJ: "I like it very much."

26:30
Han has said she once flew from Beijing (where she's filming a drama) to Seoul for a day just to see her boyfriend. MC asks JHJ: "Have you ever done anything like that?" to which he replies: "All of my girlfriends are in Seoul." MC: "South of the Han River or North?" JHJ: "From South of the Han River to North of the Han River." (Editor: The Han River runs through the heart of Seoul [which is divided into N. and S. of the river] before merging with another river and flowing into the Yellow Sea.)

30:13
MC asks if JHJ has made paper storks and other handicrafts for his girlfriend (obviously a Korean custom) and he says: "No, not once." MC (incredulous): "Never?" JHJ: "Never." MC: "Then what have you done for your girlfriend?" JHJ: "I once stayed up all night for her." MC: "All night?" JHJ: "From 11 p.m. to 9 a.m. of the next day, in front of her house." MC: "What's so important?" JHJ: "We quarrelled." Everybody laughs. MC: "You stayed in one position? Did you kneel?" JHJ: "I sat." MC: "You sat?" JHJ: "How could I stand all this time?" Everybody marvels at his truthful and commonsensical answers.

33:10
MC to JHJ: "How do you make your girlfriend laugh again after angering her?" Han to JHJ (pretending to be his girlfriend) : muttering some reproach -- about which someone remarks she does not sound like a girlfriend, more like a sister, so she tries a different approach. JHJ tries to pacify her but she rejects him. JHJ puts up his face: "OK, it's my fault. Hit me here." patting his cheek. Han ignores him, so JHJ lays on the charm. He moves nearer to her and utters these endearing syllables: "Ngai... ngai...." To the roar of laughter, JHJ hides his face, overcome with embarrassment.

34:40
MC to JHJ: "Have you ever fought for your girlfriend?" JHJ: "Yes." MC: "How many were you up against?" JHJ: "Depends. If there are too many, I run away." Laughter from audience. MC: "How many?" JHJ: "If there are 3 or 4, I'd run away. If there are 2, I'd stay and fight, because I can take some blows."

38:30
JHJ reveals that on a special day he carries his girlfriend on his back to her apartment on the 17th floor. Everybody gasps: 17th floor? MC: "Up or down?" JHJ: "Up." MC: "Why not use the elevator?" JHJ: "To show that I love her." to a collective "a..a..h..." of appreciation from the audience.

39:30
MC to JHJ: "Would you change your eating habits for your girlfriend? For example, if you're always eating rice, would you switch to bread?" JHJ: "Just eat bread? Bread is OK." then "No rice at all? At least one meal of rice a day." He does not seem to understand why everybody is laughing.

41:26
JHJ reveals another incidence of what he would do for his girlfriend. She is moving and her house has a big backyard with lots of vegetables. JHJ helps with working the field. He says he doesn't really have to do that, but since he is her boyfriend, he should do the hard work for love. MC: "Yes, work like a mule for love!" JHJ's answer puts the show at #1 -- apparently everybody likes this answer.

43:39
THE END

This is vintage JHJ -- throughout the show he answers all questions truthfully and directly, very often at his own expense, as evidenced by the laughter he elicits. He seems like a wide-eyed little boy in an amusement park, fascinated by everything he sees and everyone he meets. He doesn't quite understand the rules but he plays by them, even though he gets blown at and laughed at (in a good-natured way.) It's a pity that he never opens himself up like this again. But this one-off show defines JHJ in a way that none of his dramas does.

(Photos 1: Courtesy of CAFEKorea. Link to video via johyunjaeChina, thanks!)
(Others photos: //blog.fc2.com; http://gall.dcinside.com; www.johyunjae.hk)

We have found a website that has English subtitles, but you have to download a software first.

Here is the link to Veoh.


(P.S. I cannot access this site, but my blog partner [in a different part of the world] can, so you have a 50/50 chance.)

6 comments:

  1. Have seen it countless times, but still, even when I am reading this blog, I can't stop laughing (with mouth covered of course as I am in the office). He is so without pretension. I am almost afraid that he might get himself hurt being like this in a profession that is not famous for promoting honesty and sincerity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have seen it Nth times, but it can still make me laugh out loud every single time. Yes, Hyun-Jae is an "endangered animal" (a rare breed, very few like him in the entertainment industry), but I feel he does not need protection. He can fend for himself: there is a certain steeliness beneath the softness, a quick wit behind the slow response. He just does not "display" himself like Han Chao Young. Our Hyun-Jae will be fine; he has a "blessed" look (not that I can read fortunes.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't access the English website either, but I can now follow the show with your translation. Thanks so much! It's even funnier than I imagined. The funniest is that part when JHJ offers his cheek to Han. I laughed so much I nearly choked! JHJ in the lingerie shop is also hysterical! The man in pink is right -- JHJ has great comic talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Jo Hyun Jae is so lovable here, but so un-self-conscious. He is the only one not promoting himself on this show. He seems to be enjoying himself. So he never shows up on TV again? What a pity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Only You" is classic. This is the first ever Korean novela that I've watched and I'm glad I did. My friends told me that there are other Korean novela that's worth watching but this drama series is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marise, ALL Jo Hyun-Jae's other dramas are CLASSIC! Have you watched "Love Letter", "Sunshine", "Forbidden Love", "3 Dads/1 Mom", and of course, "Seo Dong Yo"? SDY is a 55- episode historical drama but it is JHJ's masterpiece. A MUST for every JHJ fan! For a complete list of JHJ's works, please see our first posting "Wuli Jo Hyun Jae."

    ReplyDelete