Sunday 5 April 2009

A different Corner – a different world

(This is Shirley's story)

Only by sheer chance did I get to know Jo Hyun Jae.

For a long time, I haven't watched much TV drama. Well, let's just say that my control over the remote control was very remote. As for Korean TV drama, my only memory about it was a few episodes I watched while visiting my parents one summer a long time ago. That year, my kids and I spent almost a month back in my hometown. I remembered in those calm, sleepy afternoons I sometimes sat down by my mother and just accompanied her when she was watching Korean TV drama on CCTV 8. Occasionally we'd exchange a few words about the characters in the show. Her enthusiasm about the show made me interested, but I didn't stay long enough to enjoy it a lot. Things stayed that way until late 2008.

One night after my daily sports and business news, I was about to call it a day. I was just scanning through the different channels in a very absent-minded way before I turned it off. Suddenly, I stopped the remote control and paid attention to the TV. What attracted me was a very bright-looking young man with dancing eyes. I didn't know who that person was, or what program it was, but the actor caught my eyes. I stayed until the beginning of the following episode and found out that the program was actually a Korean TV drama named "Marrying a Millionaire", an adaptation of the American reality TV show. I liked the actor Ko Soo's performance and his role in the drama a lot and even changed my habit of going to bed before 11 p.m. just for this TV show.

Towards the latter half of the show, the TV station aired a preview of an upcoming TV drama, again, a Korean one. I feel sorry that I have to say this, but honestly the first time I saw Hyun Jae's face on TV, I wasn't impressed at all. The preview showed a very arrogant young man and a young girl who's constantly talking to herself. Judging by the few scenes in the preview, I thought it was just another modern day Cinderella story which was just not my type anymore. I just dismissed the program like that. Now that I have gotten to know Hyun Jae, I can't help but find the preview didn't do a good job promoting the drama. Well, I don't blame myself too hard now, for even Elizabeth didn’t care for Darcy when he was so full of himself, did she?

After "Marrying a Millionaire" ended, I didn't watch that station for a couple of weeks. Another late night in November, sitting snugly on the sofa, I switched to that station and wanted to watch something that could get me totally unwind. Afterwards I tried to figure out exactly where I started watching it that night, but just could not pinpoint it. Everything about that moment was blurred, except for what I saw in the actor whose name I later found out to be Jo Hyun Jae. He caught my attention first because of the shape of his mouth which was very unusual (and a bit like my husband's). And I couldn't help but notice his eyes were shining with a liquid luster. Then I saw the leading lady. I quickly realized that it was the same program that I dismissed right away some weeks ago. I was a bit puzzled. How could somebody who once looked rather disagreeable make me feel so warm? Talking about love at second sight!

But soon the show ended and I would definitely love to watch Hyun Jae play some other kinds of roles. Luckily, a simple search on the web landed me onto the actor's biography page and fans' sites. I found out that he had many faithful followers for a long time. A quick scan of his filmography and I picked a new TV drama he starred in called "Three Dads with One Mom". I have watched at least two, possibly three, versions of the same story before, and loved them all. The topic about grown-up men learning to take care of babies and then truly loving them without asking for anything in return never failed to make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I was expecting a good time and a good laugh. And I wasn't disappointed. The characters were interesting enough, and the actors all did a good job playing their parts. At first, Jae Hee got at least as much of my attention as Hyun Jae did, as he was just funny and cute. Hyun Jae's part was a stingy man who wanted to marry an heiress. It was funny to see him shaking in front of a tycoon, quite opposite from his role as a rich heir in "Only You". But gradually, he got more and more of my attention. He performed in a subtle way that wasn't very eye-catching at first. But I soon found out that the character he played had many layers. However, he would not want you to see through him, so he was playing a game of hide-and-seek. Be a little patient and you would find out that his heart was in the right place. Hyun Jae played his part effortlessly, and the character just got more and more into my heart. While I was watching it, I could not help but admire how good and elegant he looked in suits. Too bad Hyun Jae was just one third of that show. Therefore, I thought maybe I should give "Only You" another chance later.

Soon, I embarked on a third Korean TV drama in less than two months' time. As I was watching Hyun Jae on this journey of a much-anticipated reunion with his estranged mother, I started to enjoy the show, to the extent that only a few fast-forwards were in need. I was still not familiar with the rhythm of Korean dramas at that time. The story line of "Only You" reminded me of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice". Both were about a rich and handsome young man learning the true meaning of love and becoming a better person. I am sorry to say this, but OY's script was just not witty enough to keep me fully occupied, although Hyun Jae's performance was quite good. How I wish I could just watch one show with Hyun Jae starring in it and everything working together perfectly.

This time I picked the much-praised"Love Letter" and was swept off my feet. I was captured by the sad and fatalistic aura of the show from the very beginning. Later I found out it had been the playwright's trademark style. Hyun Jae was absolutely stunning in this drama. He gave Andrea the air of purity, innocence, and vulnerability that was just out of this world. Above all, I could feel Andrea's sincere feeling of love and care for all human beings radiating from within. All that made this character simply unforgettable. Alas, how sad I was for Andrea and the girl! They were destined to love but could never become lovers. I watched with relief and sorrow when he finally accepted his fate and made the sacrifice for the girl he loved so much. What more can a man do for the one he loved? I couldn't help but be touched by the true love they had for each other. How that reminded me of the time of my youth and the tender love I felt then. Now the busy daily life made that love like a mirror that has lost its shine. "Love Letter" to me was a timely reminder: it made me want my love to shine again. It is Hyun Jae's beauty, natural performance and his own goodness that made it possible. He made Andrea's message of love so strong that it just penetrated into the deepest corners of my heart. For that, "Love Letter" will always be my favorite.

Since then, I have learnt a lot about the actor himself, much more than I knew any other actors and actresses in my long history as a movie buff. How could he be so perfect! And yet he is! His real life story actually has a close resemblance to the character Ko Soo played in "Marrying a Millionaire" (both are kind, take good care of the family, attractive, and become a famous actor), the TV drama that led me to the wonderful man called Jo Hyun Jae. Could this be just a coincidence, I wonder.

In the following months, I watched "Sunshine", "Forbidden Love", "Star's Echo" and "Joy of Love". I loved the brave and daring Min Woo in "Forbidden Love". Hyun Jae looked most elegant and noble in fancy suits. But in my opinion, he looked his best when he was in something casual. With his bright eyes, curly month seemed ready to burst into laughter at any second, his hands in the pockets, he looked just like a lovely boy next door. That made Hyun Jae more real and closer than ever. Min Woo was a bit weak in the later half of the drama in comparison to the fox hero. In the show the fox was much more superior to us humans, especially when it came to making rational decisions. But a human doesn’t just have a brain; he also has a heart. So sometimes emotion prevails over reasoning. That makes our lives unpredictable, yet more interesting and warm. I understood why Min Woo just didn’t have the heart to kill someone he loved dearly and I like this character for that. But the ending was so sad.

"Star’s Echo" cleared out the lingering sadness that filled my heart after watching "Forbidden Love". With lovely characters played by beautiful actors, scenic setting, all packed in the length of a movie, what more could I ask for?

I also watched the made-for-web movie called "Joy of Love". The movie was short, yet it delivered a very strong message. The question was if you were hurt by love before, would you be daring enough to love again, to truly love, to whole-heartedly love, again? Or would you just try to find an easy way out and just play games with other people? One step forward you might get hurt again, but you also had the chance to taste the joy of love. Too scared to make another move? Then how long can you keep on playing? It might be eternal darkness ahead. And Hyun Jae handled the character with such suave and depth, it was hard to believe that he was just in his early 20s. Hyun Jae is really talented.

I have long lost my objectivity as a viewer and am just enjoying watching Hyun Jae and savoring every minute of mental encounter with him. Now I am at around the 40th episode of "Seo Dong Yo" and fully enjoying it. I am in no rush, as he would remain in the army for the next 400 and more days. Nowadays, when watching his movie or TV drama, I feel like I'm having a conversation with an old friend. I can start from anywhere, and I know I’d enjoy it. I also know that he would not mind if I can’t talk to him when I get busy, knowing too well that I will never forget him and he will always be in my heart.

I've known this a long time ago -- that a person’s heart is something amazing. It won’t get crowded if you love more people. It will just get bigger and bigger and make room for everyone. But since knowing Hyun Jae, I truly feel that way. Just five months ago, I let him into my heart and started to live a fuller life. It would be hard to believe that I can go totally head over heels about anybody at my age, but here I am. Writing this story is my way of expressing my thanks to him, and hopefully can let more people feel what I have felt, so they can live a happier life.

8 comments:

  1. Hello Shirley,

    I share with you and to all about my admiration about Cho(Jho) Hyun Jae.

    Unfortunately,I am not so good in writing due
    to medical terms I am used to my daily work.
    Deep in my heart, I am praying for the good
    life of our Jho Hyun Jae. Like others,he is considered as a member of family circle.
    For me, he is like a son. His happiness is
    my happiness,too.

    Jho Hyun Jae came to our home when I watched
    Only You last Nov-Dec. 09 in TFC ,The Filipino
    Channel ,by chance. That night, I was doing my
    laundry . To kill my time and alleviate my
    coldness ( Ontario had a harsh winter that moment.), I switched on the TV . I chose Only
    You among the drama series. This was the only Korean drama. Out of my curiosity, I started
    watching and found the first episode so funny.
    Actually, this was my first experience to view
    Korean drama but in Tagalog . I was motivated to follow up the succeeding episodes
    in the MySojou.Com. Aside from this,I went to
    lots of surfing and update myself about Jho.

    His eyes,shy smile,heart shape lips,tall/slim,
    and refiness caught my attention. He looked as a simple or ordinary person at first sight. As I watched and observed his acts in all his dramas featured in MySojou.Com, I noticed the way he carried himself as an actor was an every inch of being gentleman. His gentleness and respect to his leading ladies especially in the kissing scenes were remarkable. He was consistently very professional in all his dramas as well as his being shy,gentle,and cute
    should I say constantly reflected.

    As a decent mother,wife,citizen,
    and professional with God fearing aspect has became the fan of Jho. His humility and loving
    son melts my heart as a mother. His silence(quiet) is golden,too. Honestly,he resembles my husband's character and physical appearance. My son has the same height as he is and with chinky eyes.
    (Though,my husband and I have mixed Spanish
    features: mestiso/mestisa.)

    Thank you so much to all for their participation to make this site livelier.
    I really appreciate every effort that every one
    has contributed. Each one comes from another
    culture,another country,another language but
    each one becomes united to the love and prayers for Jho Hyun Jae.

    God bless us all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirley, love what you write, especially in your last paragraph. Somehow it reminds me of something that happened many years ago. A friend of mine was crying on my shoulders, having just found out her husband was having an affair. What he said to her remains with me till this day: "It's not that I love you or the children less. It's just that my heart seems to have grown bigger, and I can love both you and her." I don't buy that, but I'll always have a special place in my heart for Jo Hyun-Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elena, thanks for sharing your story. Since you are a new convert, you still have plenty to discover about Jo Hyun-Jae. The more you know about him (as an actor and as a person), the more you will like and admire him. You're right: he's every inch a gentleman. Only someone like him can bring together people like us from different walks of life in different parts of the world. I'm sure you'll enjoy his other dramas when you get round to them. Your husband looks like JHJ?!!!! You lucky woman! BTW, his name can be translated as JO or CHO; for the sake of consistency, we spell it JO on our blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Marie:
    I guess my understanding of love is somewhat different from the husband. Or rather Ibelieve there are many different kinds of love. I will never mix the kind of love I have for Hyun Jae with the love I have for my husband. So I don’t buy that either. Just like you said, there will be a specially place for Hyun Jae in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shirely
    I enter at this site by first time.
    I read your writing just right now.
    It was in the deepest corner of my heart too.
    Thanks for sharing your feeling and thought about him. I hope so he would finish the army.
    Then I am expecting that he will show more nice by actor in drama or movie in next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi ,

    I should keep in reminding myself Re: Jo spelling for consistency. Thanks!

    My husband looks like Edu Manzano( Filipino
    actor) while I am more on Alma Moreno/Coney
    Reyes( Filipino actress). I am very choosy
    in selecting an actor as a role model based on wholistic approach in the criteria of a
    good role model like JHJ. I did a lot of surfing in the internet,reviewed all his YouTube,items,dramas,fan sites before I finally allow myself to be involved in this website. A mother of two university students
    in Toronto, an active coordinator( with my husband)to two Filipino communities in Mississauga and Ontario,a professional in top health care company,and devout follower of Christian faith, I will say this is not a joke to involve myself in this website. Investing one's time,effort,wisdom,care,and mostly prayers to JHJ and to his family members and
    and to all the fans and their familities connote my extension of "Love one another"
    aside from my family ,my community,my two countries Philippines and Canada through this website. The sharing of other's reflection
    Re:JHJ impact in his/her life gives openness,
    spontaneity,and establish bonding among us
    aside from respect,confidentiality,and formulate JHJ culture: decent,serenity,family
    oriented/solidarity and well informed or up
    to date.

    God bless us all!


    The care and

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Wulijohyunjae,
    Finally I've signed up on this blog and thanks for all the updates on JHJ.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marise, do you mean you have signed up as a Follower? How come I don't see you up there?

    ReplyDelete