Monday 13 April 2009

Final interview before entering army

This is an English translation of Jo Hyun Jae's final interview with Brokore Magazine (October 2008 Issue) just ten days before entering the army (by misa123 first published in everjohyunjae on 2008.10.9)

In the drama Seo Dong Yo, Jo Hyun Jae gave an impeccable performance as the gentle but extremely charismatic King Mu. Two years later, that appealing portrayal remains vividly etched in our minds. Ten days before entering the army, Jo Hyun Jae promises that he’ll show us how he’s grown once he returns.

Profile
Born on May 9, 1980, Jo Hyun Jae debuted in a 2000 commercial film for Pocari Sweat. He gained popularity after appearing in a 2002 TV drama, Great Wish, and had a breakout role as Father Andrew in Love Letter. Jo Hyun Jae’s works include the TV drama Seo Dong Yo (2005) and the movie The Guard Post (GP506) (2008).

☆ About the drama
Q. Given that Seo Dong Yo was a 55-episode historical epic, it must have been a very meaningful drama for you, Jo Hyun Jae.
A. I was 26 years old when we made Seo Dong Yo, so to take on the lead role in an historical epic drama was a huge challenge for me, as well as an adventure. Looking back, it wasn’t easy, but by the same token, I think I learned a lot. Personally, it was a project where I felt I grew in many ways.

Q. Could you tell us how you landed your role in Seo Dong Yo?
A. The director, Lee Byung Hoon, noticed my performance in another historical piece and offered the role to me in advance. To be honest, I was worried at first because I wasn’t confident that I could carry the lead in such a major drama as Seo Dong Yo. But the director’s encouragement and praise gave me the courage to do it. Also, I was drawn by the appeal of the character of Seo Dong. He followed a fascinating path, coming from humble beginnings and overcoming adversity to become a king that ruled the nation. I realized that there was no telling when a part as interesting as that would come around again, so there was no way I could turn down the part.

Q. There were a lot of chase scenes and action scenes in the show. How did you prepare for those? And were you ever frightened by anything?
A. Before we started filming, I went to an action school and learned martial arts. Thanks to that, I was able to act in most scenes myself without a stunt double. I am pleased about that. The riding, however, was really tough. There were a lot of scenes on horseback, but because of the schedule, there wasn’t a lot of time to practice. Usually, I would practice a little bit on the set and then we would start filming. When you realize that horses are not machines but are living things, it was scary, so I did have a hard time dealing with the horses.

Q. In the role of a king, I guess you have to be sensitive about each word and each action. What did you focus on as you created the role?
A. The thing I worried about most was the tone of voice. I talked about that many times with the director. We decided that the character of King Mu would be neither strong nor weak; he would always be a very self-controlled and wise person, and so I tried to express the appropriate words and actions in my voice as well. As I was acting, I was always trying to picture in my mind that I had to show the discipline of a king.

Q. Do you have any advice for our Japanese readers about what to look for as they watch Seo Dong Yo?
A. Before he became King Mu, Seo Dong was a person who liked to play pranks and was filled with curiosity. But in order to become king, he abandoned that part of himself and made a fresh start as a great king. I think it’s interesting to watch that process closely. Also, you can’t leave out the romance with Princess Seon Hwa, and I think his very human interaction with Mok Ra Soo , whom he loved dearly as his teacher, is moving and worth watching.

About the actor
Q. If you had to make a choice, would you choose work or love?
A. That question is like asking a child who he loves most, his mother or his father. Work and love are both important to me. If I say I don’t want to give up either of them, will I be called greedy?

Q. You recently released a digital single. Are you interested in a singing career as well?
A. I didn’t release the digital single with the intention of then releasing an album. It was something I decided to do when I was preparing for a fan meeting and struggling to come up with some special thing I could show the fans. There’s going to be a blank period during my military service, so I thought I could leave my fans with a song for while I’m away. I am not planning on starting a singing career in the future, but I wouldn’t mind singing a song once in a while if it’s for my fans.

Q. Do you believe in fate?
A. I’ve never given fate a lot of thought, but I’ve always thought that even if my fate is set, I can change it through my own efforts. Perhaps it’s fate that I’m an actor and that I’m fortunate enough to have the love of my fans.

Q. How do you like to spend your time?
A. I do a lot of mountain climbing and cycling. Sometimes I just get on my bike and start pumping the pedals without having any destination in mind; the farther I go, the more refreshing it feels. I also watch a lot of movies. Sometimes, I spend a couple of days at home doing nothing but watching movies.

Q. What are your views on marriage?
A. Very typical—meet someone you love, build a happy home, and live happily together. I’d like one son and one daughter; I couldn’t ask for anything more than that. I’d like to have the kind of relationship with my son where I could speak openly with him about anything.

Q. You’ve cut your hair short in preparation for entering the army. How are you feeling about that?
A. When I went to a fan meeting, a lot of people seemed shocked, but for me it’s a lot easier to have short hair. If I weren’t an actor, I’d want to keep this hairstyle forever! (laughs)

Q. On August 5, 2008, you are scheduled to join the army. Is there anything in particular you’re prepared for?
A. When you’re an actor, it’s hard to lead a very disciplined lifestyle. This will be the first time in a long while that I will have been able to live in a regulated way, and I want to use this opportunity to work on my physical conditioning. Also, for a little while, I want to remove the "actor" title and take a new look at myself. That alone is very meaningful, I think.

Q. Can you say a word to all of the fans who will be waiting for Jo Hyun Jae?
A. Two years may seem both short and long at times, but I hope you will all be happy and healthy. I am going to do my best to fulfill my public duty, so please keep thinking of me. I’ll see you soon.

********************
Seo Dong Yo (55 episodes), the series that depicts the turbulent life of Baekje’s 30th ruler, King Mu, and his fight for succession to the throne, is now available on DVD. The set includes bonus footage of a Seo Dong Yo TV special that was aired in South Korea.

1 comment:

  1. I really admire Hyunjae's dedication to his work. When it comes to his work, he has a lot to talk about.

    ReplyDelete