Monday 1 June 2009

It takes all sorts to make JHJ's world


In the one and a half years that I have been an "active" Jo Hyun-Jae fan, I have come across a number of interesting "comrades", of different nationalities and from different parts of the world. I'll list them here in alphabetical order.

"A" is the very first super JHJ fan that I met. She is very well-known in the JHJ world. She has her own JHJ website and she has uploaded countless JHJ videos on the internet. I had arranged to meet her to deliver my application form for membership (to another fan club. Strange?) We were supposed to meet in front of Mrs.Field's Cookies in a MTR station. I'd never been in that part of town, so I set off early to make sure I wasn't late. As it was, I was 15 minutes early and she was 45 minutes late. So there I was, pacing back and forth, scrutinising every cookie with extra care, until I could memorise their price and shape and texture. We'd exchanged 3 or 4 calls and she still hadn't shown. If it hadn't been for JHJ, I wouldn't have suffered this. I'm an on-time freak -- I hate people for being late, and especially for blaming it on the traffic. It shows a lack of respect: I'm just not important enough for them to come at the agreed time. I was about to decide I'd been stood up when along came flying this BIG bulk which, before I had time to react, gave me a bear hug and screamed my name. I forgave her at once when she said she went home to get the JHJ magazines to show to me. She did come armed with a whole cache of JHJ goodies. For the next three hours we sat at a restaurant talking about JHJ. The people at the next table must think we're two crazy women, chatting non-stop and occasionally "screaming" (beneath our breath) whenever we came across a specially handsome picture of him in the magazines "A" brought.

"A" is a really dedicated JHJ super fan. She spends most of her waking moments scouring the internet for news of JHJ. She never sleeps (I know because I shared a hotel room with her in Japan for three nights.) She is tireless in networking in the daytime and posting articles on her website at night. She has a certain childlike quality about her that is very endearing. Her love for JHJ is so overwhelming that she neglects her own health in pursuit of his information. I have to tell her that JHJ cares about his fans and he wouldn't want her to suffer on his behalf. She is generous to a fault, but she is also sometimes generous with facts and figures. She tells me she is many things that she is not, but she does not know I know. We all live in our dream world, and I do not have the heart to rouse her from her sweet slumber. As long as she is happy, she has a right to indulge herself.

"B" is the one who introduces me to "A", but now, sadly, they are no longer talking to one another. I don't know what really happened between them, or their two websites, because I heard two different versions. "B" is very smart, very sharp, very witty, a sensible, no-nonsense person whom I liked before I even saw her. We met at a Korean restaurant (what else?) in another city. I was a little early, and as soon as she sat down, we started blabbing (for three hours.) It is very strange: JHJ fans need no introduction; we recognize each other as soon as we see each other, even without the "red rose". (You know how strangers in novels rendezvous? They carry a red rose as the emblem.)

"B" is a fast talker; her mind works very rapidly. Good thing I could keep up. It's fun hearing her talk about JHJ whom she met the year before. Even though I'd read this on her website before, listening to her tell it in person is much more vivid. I envy her so much for having the good fortune to be up close and personal with JHJ. "B" is a warm-hearted person and she is generous with her help where JHJ is concerned. I find that JHJ fans give a lot of their time and energy and even money unstintingly on his behalf. I have never been a fan of anyone's before, so I don't know how these things work. But I am quite convinced JHJ fans are more generous and giving than most.

In their different ways, both "A" and "B" love JHJ. In their own way, they are both serving JHJ. I think if they join forces, they can do a lot more for JHJ. I offer to be the bridge, so they can be reconciled, but I am told by "B" that their prejudices are too deep and their views are too divergent. It is a pity that they have gone their separate ways. They choose to be rivals instead of allies. Why is it that JHJ who is so low-profile and placid should inspire such competition and conflict in his fans? I suspect they want to monopolise him for themselves. Not me, though. My motto is: "Sharing is caring."

(TO BE CONTINUED)

5 comments:

  1. These JHJ fans are from differnt countries? He is so popular all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that these two super fans can co-operate to help JHJ in different ways.
    We have the same theme, JHJ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, all JHJ fans should cooperate and work TOGETHER for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 本來想起...李白將進酒中的

    但願長醉不願醒 & 與爾同消萬古愁

    一時技癢...對不起, 來了中文回應....
    (看完可以隨意刪去)


    君不見黃河之水天上來,奔流到海不復回;
    君不見高堂明鏡悲白髮,朝如青絲暮成雪。

    人生得意須盡歡,莫使顯宰空對月。
    天生我材必有用,資料搜盡還復來。
    上網尋找且為樂,會須一盡24時。
    .....

    鐘鼓饌玉不足貴,但願長醉(顯宰)不願醒。
    .....

    internet,조현재,
    開機上網尋顯宰,與爾同消萬古愁。

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Chinese poetry -- as a tribute to JHJ! Thanks! And take care!

    ReplyDelete