Friday 3 July 2009

Only JHJ can make "Only you"



"Only You" is the last Jo Hyun-Jae drama that I watched, and I didn't like what I saw. I didn't like his hair; I didn't like his looks; I didn't like his clothes; and I didn't particularly like his character. But I did like the happy ending -- it's one of the very few in which he gets the girl (and a son too.)

And then I found out on the web that most of JHJ's fans got to know him through "Only You." I was puzzled as to why so many women fell for him (or his character) in this drama. Could everybody be wrong? Or am I the only one who got it (or didn't get it)?

And then I watched "Only You" again, and again, and again...........

Why do so many people fall in love with the Jo Hyun-Jae character Han Yi Joon in "Only You"? These pictures should give you a clue.

Even with a hairstyle that doesn't suit him, he can still look incredibly handsome. Even when he's made to wear all those outrageous shirts, he still looks gorgeous. Who would wear a RED shirt (and no tie) at an important board meeting? I personally think the costume director should be impeached! SBS should have hired the one who was responsible for Jung Eun Sup's wardrobe in "Sunshine". The JHJ character there is a Korean who has spent several years in Paris and he looks totally European. The clothes help, of course, but our JHJ is the only Korean actor who can look continental European without ever having set foot there (not until "OnlyYou".)

Han Yi Joon at the beginning of "Only You" is dressed for the part of the university student when he goes to Vicenza to seek out his mother. But seven years later when he becomes the heir to his father's commercial empire, he wears all these colourful clothes that are out of character and do not suit his status at all. And yet this is when he makes a lot of conquests (of his fans.) I might add that Han Chae Young is worse, much worse, with her vests and halters, doubled and tripled, but at least she has the excuse of being poor.

JHJ should be commended for his performance in "Only You" because he transcends the physical limitations of his appearance (meaning his wardrobe.) Anybody else would have looked absolutely ridiculous in those scarlet, orange, turquoise, yellow, green, purple.......outfits AND those bell-bottom trousers! Out of this colourful mess emerges a man who is obstinate in his love, determined in his objective, brave in his actions, and tender in his unreasonableness. Cha Eun Jae cannot resist Han Yi Joon, and neither can countless JHJ fans who meet him first here.

As for me, I can now overlook the less-than-satisfactory wardrobe and appreciate the essence beneath the surface. But I still think only JHJ can take on such a role in such motley costumes and get away with it. Anybody else would end up looking like a clown.


(Credit for photos: cafe.daum.net.hyunjaelove.jp; carpediemJapan by Param; johyunjae.hk. Thanks!)

3 comments:

  1. When I first saw JHJ in Only You, I was telling myself what a sissy guy he was in all those weird clothings, he looked terrible ! Han Chae Young was looking sad all the time, so I almost wanted to stop watching it. What attracted me to continue watching was his "son" in the show, being the cuttest charactor in the show, I have him to thank - because I wanted to know the fate of his son, I continued to watch.
    JHJ did not make an impression in this drama to me . I in fact forgot who he was until I watched Seodongyo on TV when I travelled to Taiwan. He really made an impression on Seodongyo. When I returned home, I bought the DVD to continue watching. After Seodongyo, I started to check out his other shows , that's when I realised that he was that same actor in Only You.
    I hope when he returns fr the army and make his come-back to the showbiz , he will be offerred some real impactful drama/movies. To me , Only You was just another Korean drama no different fr the others.
    After Seodongyo, I watched 3Dads/1Mom and that was a really refreshing one . I liked his charactor in that drama as it was a big contrast fr his charactor in Seodongyo & he really looked smart , intelligent & funny in that drama. Most importantly I think he really dressed well in 3D/1M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, I have a different point of view on Hyunjae presents himself in "Only You". In fact, it was this show that I first came to know him and I find that this guy can carry himself very well. May it be acting wise or the clothes he wears. It really strike me though that seldom you see a guy dresses up with a variety of bright dainty colours such as pink, red and yellow and at the same time exudes the level of confidence. I also like his team up with Han Chae Young as they make up a lovely couple on screen. But JHJ portrayal in 3D/1M is a full of vitality apart from his previous roles. His role in 3D/1M best describes him and he looks amazingly handsome in his formal wear and his hairstyle really suits him very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, his clothes in ONLY YOU bothered me too, but not as much as his hair (after he returned to Korea to work) and his shoes - a black and white leather dress shoes!!! i was almost in pain watching our usually dapper and handsome JHJ in that mediocre fashion style. i kept asking myself if that was the in style at that time in s. korea or was the fashion consultant for the show mad (for some reason) at our JHJ that he/she styled him so badly? but i loved the story because it was light and a feel good one. i watched it after watching forbidden love so to see our JHJ in a feel good romance took away the heavy feeling that forbidden love left in my heart. but, as you said, only our JHJ could have pulled off the role of Han Yi Joon (in those clothes, hair, and shoes!!!) without looking like a clown. his outward appearance couldn't dim his compelling, sparkling eyes, nor make a caricature of his beautiful smile, nor diminish his devastating good looks....

    ReplyDelete