Monday 6 July 2009

JHJ changed my life

This is Laura's story.

JHJ changed my life? It sounds incredible to me for I am a person reluctant to change. I've been living in the same city since I was born. I worked for the same company since graduation from university. I married the first man I fell in love with. I don't make a change deliberately, I think. I accept opportunities of change. Thank God, so far everything has been going well for me. As they say, I'm lucky enough to live a contented life.

Then, how can someone I've never met face to face change my life? Did I change at all since I ran into this guy called Jo Hyun Jae on the screen?

It was absolutely by accident that I turned on the TV and tuned to the channel on whcih "Only You" was broadcasting. I seldom watch television. On that night, however, after putting my daughter to bed, I decided to turn on the TV for some news or movies. I didn't expect to watch a Korean drama at all. Till today, I am still puzzled what made me watch on. The only "rational" explanation I can come up with is "yuanfen" (fate or destiny.) It's my belief that some people are destined to meet while others are not. If it had not been for "yuanfen", what made me find him on TV?

Without question, "Only You" is a pleasant drama to watch. JHJ did very well playing a rich heir, arrogant in appearance but sincere at heart. Since then, I felt I was driven by something (curiosity?) to watch JHJ's dramas one after another. The more I watched, the deeper I sank into his world. I found myself surfing the internet for information on JHJ. I started to pay much attention to tensions in the Korean Peninsula because JHJ is in the army. I found myself writing to a stranger sharing my feelings, which I would have never tried if it hadn't been for JHJ. I also found myself registered at a fans' BBS. And unexpectedly, I learned many useful computer skills. For example, I was taught how to cut and splice photos on the computer to make fabulous photo exhibition. I used the technique to reorganize my family photos. My family all marveled at my works. Besides, I even started to learn Korean!

Nothing big here, I know. But I did change, didn't I? The change is by no means radical. It's subtle and in the mind. I'm more open and more tolerant. Now, I'm willing to exchange views with people with whom I share the same interests but have never met in person. It is not as awkward as I thought. I also start to re-consider my attitude toward my shy and quiet boy. Seeing JHJ's growing up, I realized that shyness may not be bad at all. I used to think that shyness will hinder my son's communication with people. However, I notice that JHJ's shyness actually reflects that he thinks more than others do, and his brevity of speech is because he always tries hard to be most sincere and accurate. Shy as he is, he can still be charming and successful. I'm more confident about my positive attitude toward this world too. Looking at JHJ's sparkling eyes and brilliant smile, I made up my mind that I'll try my best to find the beauty of this world, to make life more colorful, and to make people around me feel happier. I believe I can, as JHJ fulfilled his dreams with his firm will.

To me, JHJ cannot be a "real" person. I can't see him in person. I can't talk to him face to face. I can't touch him. What does he mean to me then? An idol? Or a good example? Neither, I think. I would rather regard him as an angel who is sent to me to light up my life (as someone said so before on this blog.)

I've said I accept opportunities of change. This time JHJ brings me the opportunity and I'll take it. Thank you, Jo Hyun Jae!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Im reading a blog from 6 years ago. Your stpry was really similar with me. I always think of how i started my journey in payronizing korean novelas, it was all because pf JO HYUN JAE when i first watched Only you accidentally while it was aired in the Philippines. He is a great actor and I also can feel that he is pure , kind and a good person .

    ReplyDelete