Sunday 5 July 2009

"Love Letter" makes me fall in love with JHJ

I haven't done this for a long time -- watching a drama from start to finish throughout the night. Even though my eyes are hurting and my head is aching, I still feel my heart is bursting with love and I am profoundly moved. I can't tell whether it's a dream or reality: what appears in my mind's eye is a pair of eyes -- so full of love, so clear, so pure, so beautifully sad -- that deeply attracts me.

"Love Letter" is about a HE who has been abandoned by his mother and a SHE whose parents are dead. Fate has brought them together. Similar age and similar experiences in life draw these two delicate souls and kindred spirits together. They are not lovers but they are closer than lovers. They are like brother and sister but they are not siblings. The rope of fate binds them tightly together. But they do not break down the last defence, so the unspoken love is buried deep in their hearts. Actually they know that they have been in love with one another for a long, long time.

Influenced by his unfortunate childhood experiences, he has determined to be a priest (who is as warm as the sun) from very young. That is why he cannot accept her. When she finds out his resolve to be a priest, she cannot love him anymore, however much she loves him. Even though they love each other, they can only hide their feelings in their hearts.

But love is innocent, even in the face of God. Finally their love find the light under the warmth of the sun. But who would have thought that DEATH has already silently arrived? Fate sometimes likes to play with poor human beings in this fashion.

The whole drama is filled with forlorn desolation and the characters are tragically beautiful. Jo Hyun-Jae's lead character is the focus and bright spot of the drama. I have not seen an actor with such clear eyes and such an air of nobility for a long time. Jo Hyun-Jae brings me a pleasant surprise. "Love Letter" makes me fall in love with him!

(Written by 崇雨尊 and originally published in Chinese on BAIDU Jo Hyun Jae Bar on 6/27/09.)

7 comments:

  1. Love Letter was my drama introduction to our JHJ when it was first shown here in the Philippines many years ago. i didn't get the chance to follow it faithfully as i was busy with work then, often coming home past midnight. but on those days i get to come home early i made it a point to watch Love Letter because the handsome young actor who played the role of a young priest really caught my eye and my heart. after love letter ended, i forgot all about the drama, being caught up with both work and raising my daughter, except for the image of the handsome young actor that lingered in my mind and heart... it was many years later that i took up my "fanship" of our JHJ. it was a circuitous road i took back to our JHJ, but i am glad that i rediscovered that handsome young actor who played the role of a young priest. his compelling eyes, warm smile, handsome face, and calm and tranquil demeanor never fail to bring warmth and happiness to my daily life....

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh by the way, i got the chance to watch love letter again (from start to finish this time) when it was included at mysoju.com. watching it in its entirety made me realize, again, what a great actor our JHJ is. he was still very young then, with very few acting credits to his name, but he was able to portray a character who was tasked to show a whole gamut of emotion - innocence, purity, love (of varying kinds and degree) hate, jealousy, anger, despair, and so many more. how can one young actor convey all those emotions? where did he get the inspiration and the strength to pull off that acting challenge so brilliantly and effectively?

    on another note, wulijohyunjae, i want to congratulate you. i am currently using a new laptop so i had to search again for your site because it is not yet in the bookmarks of my new laptop (yes, in my old laptop you are already bookmarked). the first time i stumbled upon your blogsite, it was like 10th - 15th in the list of the search result. but, lo and behold, when i yahoo searched this time you are at the top of the list already. all your hardwork in behalf of our JHJ have paid off already.... CONGRATULATIONS AND MORE POWER TO YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O Love Letter makes me really fallen in love with Jo Hyun Jae but his acting is so real that I respect him as a priest, but ...........this is acting and I still fall for him. What do you think ? JHJ is so wholesome, so holistic, and his smile is so captivating that anyone will love him. Hope there will be more scritewriters to engage him in more dramas. Wish him well in his army assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. correction: in my second comment, i should have written "...., when i yahoo searched JHJ's name this time, your blog was at the top of the list already."

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I got hold of this DVD, Love Letter, I was so thrilled and started watching it without a care in the world. My eyes were glued tight to the screen.

    JHJ as a child in the drama looks strong, demure, never give up type, and these personality traits grew up with JHJ.

    As an adult, he shows lots of emotion, lost, determine, no fear of hardship, despair, hate, love, pure, concern, care and yet upright. He potrays very well in the part of a Catholic priest, very humane in nature.

    When he met his mother, his wanting to reconcile is very difficult as he remembers his rejection. Nonetheless, he made a very difficult decision to enter a semeinary. This whole episode of his training days at the seminary must have made him into somebody whom people admire.

    I watched this three times and now I have this to say to JHJ.

    I admire your personality in this Love Letter and I am sure he, in person is the JHJ in this Love Letter. Your charm overwhems all.

    Hope there are more script writters hunting for JHJ when he leaves the army nest year. Cheers to you JHJ,from all your secret admirers including me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am his fans in Thailand, I love him very much. 6 months till now I watch his movies every day when I am at home. Watch all movies repeat and repeat as Seo Dong Yo (Song of Prince), Star's Echo, 3 Dads 1 Mom, Only You, Love Letter, MV from You Tube and JHJ Link website. JHJ is only one actor in my mind. My iPhone is full of his dramas, MV and more than 2,000 photo. Too much crazy him that I have never been crazy fans before. Still waiting him come back on screen. Miss You Jo Hyun Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot JHJ dramas which I watch every day (each) Great Ambition (Daemang), Forbidden Love, GP506, Untold Sacndal and a little bit for Sunshine of Love because ending is unreasonable that Song Hey Kyo forgot her lover Jo Hyun Jae, don't understand writer and director.

    ReplyDelete