Tuesday 12 May 2009

Two "love" letters to JHJ


Ever since Jo Hyun-Jae entered the army, I have been writing to him every week (sometimes more.) I write in English. I don't know if he understands what I write, but it doesn't matter. Anyone who has ever been in boarding school abroad or who has lived in a hall of residence (called dormitory in the U.S.) in a university away from home will remember fondly how he/she loves to receive letters (at least I did.) This is of course in the days before e-mails and when long-distance telephone calls are prohibitively expensive. We are sustained by letters from family and friends, especially boyfriends/girlfriends.

I remember my then boyfriend (now husband) promised to write every day when I went to university in England, and he was as good as his word. Strange thing, though, more often than not his letters would arrive 3, 4, or even 5 at a time. I put it down to the irregularity of the British postal system. It wasn't until several years later that I learnt he composed his "daily" letters at one sitting, but dating them separately.

And now I do the same. Whenever I feel like it, I write Hyun-Jae a couple of letters and mail them at the same time. I write to him as I would write to a friend. The title of this posting is deliberately misleading. I never use the word "love" in my letters to JHJ (except in: "I love all your works.") Some people say they don't know what to write. Well, just write what is in your heart. You're doing this as much for yourself as for him.

It doesn't matter whether Hyun-Jae understands what I write. (I am not proficient in Korean, but I always include a couple of standard Korean phrases/clauses like: "Good luck and good health", "Wish you every happiness", "God bless you!" -- these recur so often he must think I'm a parrot!) The important thing is he knows there are people who have not forgotten him, that there are fans who care. I want him to know we'll always be there for him, that we're right here waiting for him. I remember how I would sometimes feel very homesick in England, even depressed. I don't know if Hyun-Jae ever falls into these dark moods, but a caring gesture (even from a stranger) could make a difference. A letter or card can cheer one up and brighten one's day.

Below are two letters I wrote to Hyun-Jae before I started this blog (maybe not word for word because I didn't keep copies.) Sorry! nothing mushy here -- I leave that to the young girls.

Letter 1

Dear Hyun-Jae,

You must have received loads of letters from fans ever since you entered the army, but I am sure you have never received one as funny as mine -- and it's a true story too!

When I was in the U.S. recently, I bought a lot of cards (to mail to you) -- everything with "Missing you", "Thinking of you" on it. When the cashier at the check-out saw what I was buying, she asked: "You have a loved one who is away?" I answered: "Yes, in the army." She asked: "Iraq or Afghanistan?" My response: "Korea." I left her looking absolutely puzzled! (Ha!Ha!)

Please take good care of yourself. You are very important to us.


Letter 2

Dear Hyun-Jae,

You are my favourite actor in the whole world! I know your admire Al Pacino whom I have never been enthusiastic about. But since he is your favourite American actor, I recently watched all his movies again. I am sorry to say I have not been able to change my perception of him.

I have always found Al Pacino's acting exaggerated and over-indulgent. The only movie of his that I like is "Scent of a Woman". He's still a tough guy here, as always, but at least it's a tough guy with a heart. Perhaps he is an "actor's actor", but I prefer the kind of actor that you are -- the kind that touches my heart. You are more versatile than Al Pacino who cannot play romantic or comic roles.

Be happy. Keep smiling.


Well, those are sample letters (just kidding!) Now it's your turn.

P.S. Ever since the start of this blog, we've been sending selected articles to JHJ every two weeks, so he knows his fans are thinking about him. (The articles look really good from the colour printer.) We have mailed all those "A Different Corner" articles (among others), together with your comments. JHJ says he reads all his fan mail, so there's a chance he's reading yours now!

4 comments:

  1. Jo Hyun Jae really reads our letters? That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your letters, and I like the photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When JHJ read the letters, he knows the caring of his fans.

    ReplyDelete