Sunday 17 May 2009

He wants to be close to his fans




(From Korean magazine DVD MAGAZINE Vol.3, April 2009 -- Part 2 (Edited)

Before Jo Hyun-Jae entered the army on August 5, 2008, he has been trying to get close to his fans. His reputation has expanded beyond Korea and spread all over Asia. In 2005 he had his first fan meeting in Tokyo, Japan. In 2006 from November he met his fans in succession in Fukuoka, Osaka, and Tokyo. In 2007 there was the Korea Expo (Face in Japan) event. And again in June 2008 fan meetings were held in Osaka and Tokyo and a dinner show in Nagoya. Finally in August there was a fan meeting and charity activities in Thailand. Jo Hyun-Jae went all over Asia to get close to his fans.

On July 19, 2008, a month before his enlistment, Jo Hyun-Jae held his last fan meeting in Seoul for his Korean fans. Fans from Japan, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Thailand also attended.

Jo Hyun-Jae prepared special presents for his fans, so they will have something to remember him by while he is in the army -- a CD and a photo album.

During his last fan meeting in Seoul, he sang the songs from his as yet unreleased CD. While singing, he kept thinking of the way his fans have treated him and could not continue. Seeing him choke made his fans cry too. The auditorium became a sea of tears.

The CD is full of Jo Hyun-Jae's love for his fans. There is a song in it - "Words you said to me" - that is composed of words that Jo Hyun-Jae wrote down in a long letter which the songwriter then set to music.

This CD is not available from the usual outlets but can only be purchased through the official fan clubs. The response has been so overwhelming that in Korea and Japan it could now be downloaded as a digital single on the web.

Even after he entered the army, Jo Hyun-Jae was still thinking of his fans. Whenever he was out on leave, he would always leave a message for his fans on the fan club websites: www.everjohyunjae.co.kr and cafe.daum.net/hyunjaelove.
The message that Jo Hyun-Jae left one day before his enlistment says: "I'll miss my family, friends, and fans. I'll be a good soldier. And I'll be back sooner than you think."

In November 2008 when he was out briefly, he wrote: "I am now a dog soldier: I train and patrol with a military dog every day, so I'm very healthy. Fans' letters and presents give me a lot of strength."

Jo Hyun-Jae's other messages for his fans:

Dec.24, 2008
Hello everybody! Have a happy Christmas! You have sent me a lot of encouraging letters and presents. My storage box is not big enough to hold them. I don't know how to thank you.

Mar.3, 2009
I've been promoted to PFC (Private First Class) and I have more and more soldiers under me. Severe winter training has been completed. During my free time I play basketball with my seniors and juniors. Also many thanks for the letters and chocolates for White Valentine. I had a shock when I saw all the presents; I was very touched by your sincere concern. I couldn't eat them all myself, so I shared them with my camp-mates.

Last summer Jo Hyun-Jae was seen off by over 200 fans from Korea, Japan, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Thailand and entered Camp 306 for five weeks of basic military training. After that he was assigned to one of the military bases at Uijeongbu in Gyeonggi Province.

It has now been eight months and he has been promoted to PFC. He looks back to the early days in the army when he was worried how he would get along with his fellow soldiers because he was older than the average recruit. I would very much like to ask Jo Hyun-Jae himself how he was getting on with his younger colleagues, but since it was impossible, I called his management office and asked about his latest news. This is what I was told: "He's the oldest in his unit, but this has not proved to be a problem; in fact, everyone is very good to him." And in Jo Hyun-Jae's own words: "This is the first time I'm experiencing life in a unit, so it's a little hard at first. But everyone has been very kind to me, so I adjusted very quickly. Now on every weekend I play sports with my camp-mates and am leading a very healthy life."

That business about his getting the autographs of the Korean girl group "Wonder Girls" has become famous. The special things that Jo Hyun-Jae would do for his camp-mates have become a hot topic.

The first time off for a soldier has special meaning. Asked how he spent his first leave, Jo Hyun-Jae said: "I spent a leisurely holiday with my much-loved family." He also told me that apart from the set military meals, he also wanted to try other food. Normally he is not very fond of Chinese food, but when his family or management company staff visit him, they would bring Chinese food.

I have heard Jo Hyun-Jae goes to church every Sunday, and on weekends he plays basketball or football with his camp-mates. He is indeed leading a very healthy and vigorous life in the military.

As to whether he has lost any weight under the rigid military training, he said: "No, I haven't lost any weight. I've become fitter and healthier because of military service."

He quit smoking in early 2009, so he has not been smoking for three months now. (Editor: this was an April issue, so to date actually JHJ has quit smoking for 5 months.)

Before his enlistment, Jo Hyun-Jae had planned to serve one year as a regular soldier and then apply to be an entertainment soldier in his second year, but now he wants to continue as a regular soldier.


(THE END)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for translating this long article. Glad to know that Hyun Jae is doing so well in the army especially he has quit smoking. Let's hope he can keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your regular update,as always!

    Action speaks louder than words.
    I appreciated the sincerity of JHJ fans so consistent and respectful. A JHJ culture!

    Wow! His going to church every Sunday is a good sign of his good spirituality. The more I give credit to his parents for rearing him up well.

    Again, may God protect and provide us all with
    good health,love,and life including our families,relatives ,friends,and to JHJ and his family/relatives/loved ones/friends. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the daily updates of JHJ. It seems that Hyunjae is leading a balance normal life physically and spiritually. Keep up the good work Hyunjae.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi thanks for the updates of jhj hope we could see him here in the philipines.

    ReplyDelete