Sunday 22 February 2009

I spread my dream in the sky



Last night in a dream I saw my long-forgotten self -- as a child
With both hands full of rainbow-coloured glass beads
That forgotten child who was so happy with the marbles
Who has since been tamed by the world
Now longs to relieve myself of the burdens of life
To face life steadily, truthfully, calmly
To find that forgotten rainbow light -- my dream
I grasp it tightly with both hands
Running towards the open skies
Even if times are tough, facing a tempestuous world
I will never again be afraid to embrace my dream
Like in childhood, I can go barefoot, jumping for joy
In the ever-changing world, among fleeting clouds
To be together with my dream
That sea that I am afraid of now speaks softly to me
I am reborn with my dream
Nobody will hear me whispering to the world
Spread that forgotten dream in the sky



This is the third song on Jo Hyun-Jae's CD -- the best of the best, in my opinion. I know it is presumptuous to re-write the English lyrics, especially since the CD jacket comes with English translation. But since the original lyrics are in Korean, I have exercised poetic licence and offered my own version here. The lyrics are so beautiful (as is JHJ's rendition of the song) that they bear being re-translated. Could these lyrics be a mirror image of JHJ's life?

6 comments:

  1. 是呀!第3首歌是我最喜歡的.
    初聽時並沒有馬上被吸引, 但細聽後就像磁石般被吸過去.
    顯宰沉厚的嗓音, 真是沒話說!!! ^0^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this third song is not as catchy as the first two (which are very melodious), but it grows on you -- the more you listen to it, the more you'll like it. And it has a crescendo effect -- rising to a climax in both music and emotion. Hyun-Jae handles it like a pro (he sings better than a lot of singers out there.) This song is so moving, perhaps because he's thinking of his own situation while singing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 图片挺好的。是不是问题已经解决了?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we hope so. My partner is a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't received his CD yet, too bad I got know his name only very recently, but really attracted to him like never before. He has a very beautiful,expressive voice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Shirley, Hyun-Jae's voice is sweet music to my ears. I listen to his CD every day (several times a day) and never tire of it. All 3 songs are first-rate!

    ReplyDelete